Scarlet Tanager and Peregrines

The weather was crumby on the parkway today, but Tom Joyce and I did
manage to get enough break in the clouds and rain to get a good "scope"
view of the peregrine kids at Devil's Courthouse.  There was no sign of
the parents, so they must both be hunting now (though what they could
see in that mess is beyond me!!!!).  The three young are dressed as
adults and were vigorously flexing their wings.

I have been treated to a scarlet tanager singing ALL day long for four
days straight in my cove.  So what????  He's BRIGHT orange and black.
Makes the orange of an oriole pale in comparison.  Ah, the simple joys.

Connie Ward
Maggie Valley, NC
cward@haywood.main.nc.us