storm bird?

While not as exciting as a Frigatebird, I believe I had an Allison-blown
bird yesterday afternoon.  Just in front of a squall line moving in from
the northeast, I spotted a Mississippi Kite hunting over a weedy field
along one of the birdy back roads in northern Richland county.  The bird
was apparently taking advantage of a break in the rain and hunting.  I
stopped the car and got out to watch him.  While I watched, the bird caught
a dragonfly and was eating "on the wing".  It is a testament to the grace
of a kite that the Mississippi Kite can still look elegant while picking
dragonfly from between his toes in the erratic winds that proceed a squall.
 I watched him until the rain was coming down in sheets and he disappeared
behind the treeline.  As there are no creeks or rivers particularly close
to this spot, I think the strong winds from the tropical depression may
have "moved" him a bit from his usual hunting/nesting area.

In other news, I added a species to the list of breeders in the creekbottom
near the house.  Yesterday, I finally heard enough (several complete songs,
most with an accented ending) to decide that there really were American
Redstarts still in the creekbottom.  There is one singer and possibly
another.  I haven't seen a female or any other evidence of nesting yet.

Donna S. Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina