Brickhouse Road 6/17/01

Hello everyone,
Spent a delightful 4 hours at Brickhouse Road (Butner Gamelands, NE
Durham) yesterday morning. A special treat was seeing 2 pairs of orchard
orioles; another was seeing and hearing a prothonotary warbler right out
in the open (at the beaver pond).
As has been true for several weeks, the most common bird by far was the
indigo bunting. A kingfisher rattled from tree to tree in the swamp;
it's coloration was darker than usual - almost charcoal, instead of the
usual slate blue. I forgot to look in my Sibley's when I got home, but
wondered if the color was age related.

Could someone help i.d. a mammal that ran across the path:  light brown,
legs seemed darker; larger than a mink, smaller than a groundhog.

Complete list of birds follows:

red-tailed hawk
mourning dove
indigo bunting