Greenville, SC Bird Club Walk and S-T Flycatchcers

The next bird walk for the Greenville, SC bird club will be held on
Saturday June 23rd. We will be going to the Ashmore Heritage Trust Site.
This months leader is Jeff Catlin. The meeting place is the BI-LO
parking lot on Highway 25, across from George Coleman Ford in Traveler's
Rest at 7:30 A.M. My husband has hiked this site several times, and said
it is home to the Mountain Sweet Pitcher Plant and has a waterfall. All
are welcome to attend.

I took advantage of both my husband and son being out of town Saturday
and drove to Monroe to see the S-T Flycatchers. I missed them last year
because the only weekend I wasn't out of town I was oncall, so I am very
glad they came back this year. Blayne Olsen came down with his scope and
let me watch the birds feeding there young. The most interesting part
was watching them fly and catch insects in the air. I have been birding
for about 5 years and the beauty of this bird truly captivated me. I
recommend anyone who has no seen them yet make the trip in the next few
days.

If anyone needs a long beach book to read this summer, I recommend Scott
Weidensaul's Living On The Wind. At first the book seemed like slow
reading, but after reading it for awhile I appreciated the details it
gave on bird migration.

--
Linda Sharp
Greenville, SC