Directions to McDavit's and P.G. news

Dear people wanting directions:

I am archived at
www.virtualbirders.com/bmail/carolinabirds/200106/12/index.html#9

However, I just discovered there's a mistake or 2, so I am hereby giving
directions again, simple as I can make them:

Going South on Rt. #17 in Brunswick Co., Take LEFT on Rt.904 .  There are a
Texaco and a McDonald's .

Continue 4 -5 miles to the 2nd light, with a big Shopping Center on right.

Turn Right.

Continue until you see a Miniature Golf Course on right and Shark's
beachstore .

Turn Right.  The beachstore is now on your left.  Continue to the second
right, Lake Shore Dr., a somewhat hidden entrance.

Winding around you will be passing East Lake of Twins Lakes, on your left,
until the first right, Sunset Lakes Blvd.

Turn Right.

Note Medcalf Drive on right, and a big sign that says Sunset Lakes.   More
later about that.

You will now be crossing the dam/road at the foot of Medcalf Lake.
Headwaters of Calabash River on left - a salt marsh with Clapper Rails.

The road, Sunset Lakes Blvd. now turns Right.   We are at 674, with sign
Azalea Sunset.

Leaving our street, you can turn left and backtrack to Medcalf Drive,
turning left.  Continue to the end of street, park off the street and walk
down the hill (and past Sea Trail's pumphouse.)   On your left you should
see Osprey Nests  and the night time roost for the Wood Storks.  You may
also see Night-herons.  We have both depending on the time of year.  You
should see Blacks of various plumages now, I think.

Returning to Sunset Lakes Blvd.,   turn right.  Bear left on Pearl .  The
road is bad but passable.  You will pass Osprey Lake, on the right.  At the
back of lake is another big roost site.   Especially if it's late in day
(and depending on tides), you'll see lots of DC Cormorants (all year round -
many non-breeders), plus many hundreds of Great Egrets, White Ibis, more as
the summer season advances.  I don't advise going down either street on
Osprey Lake.  There are some scary dogs.  Also on our street are mean dogs.
Driving may be OK, walking definitely ill-advised.

You can turn around and go back the way you came in, or you can continue all
the way through Pearl Golf Course to Old Georgetown Rd, now called Rt.179.
A left gets you to Calabash and, or,  Turn right at light to return to Rt
17.

 If you go right out of Pearl, and continue to the traffic light some few
miles, and 5 golf courses later, you will have made a circle.  Turn left to
get back to Rt 17.

Now wasn't that simple?

This is the 4th day without Purple Gallinule, and think it may well be gone.

Good birding,
Mary McDavit  674 Sunset Lakes Blvd.
osprey1@mindspring.com