Re: broodpatches

>is it possible to see the broodpatches of birds without having them in hand?
>One day I saw a female cardinal with a naked belly and wondered if that was
>what I was seeing.  Do males who help with brooding develop the patches
>also.  i guess they must to keep the eggs warm.  thanks for the info.  barb
>brooks
>hillsborough, nc  brooksba@mindspring.com

BARB . . .

Occasionally you can see "nest marks" and what appears to be a brood
patch in females. Male brooders do develop a modified patch--big ones
in phalaropes, I understand.

See http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek010601.html for further discussion.

Cheers,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.