birding "the land of no Black Vultures"

Hi Carolinabirders,
	Today, Paul Rogers and I ventured with some trepedation into "the land of
no Black Vultures" * for a day of SC County Birding.  I had 32 new
possibilities among the breeding birds that I figured I could find there
and I hoped to get between 15 and 20 on this trip. I managed to id 16 from
this group, Paul's good eyes were vital on two occasions. We spent the day
from 8:30 to 2:30 in and around Little Pee Dee State Park. The bugs were
not to bad but the heat was oppresive. It was 82 in Mullins by 8 AM.
Here is the list.

Green Heron-1
Canada Goose-25 feral group that looked longingly at my sandwich as Paul
and I ate lunch.
Wood Duck-6
Mallard-2
Turkey Vulture-3
Mississippi Kite-1 a great look at a soaring adult male with the white head
and secondaries
Red-tailed Hawk-1
N. Bobwhite-1 heard only
Mourning Dove-5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo-3 heard only
Barred Owl-1 a very nice look at a bird I spished up from the ground and
landed on a limb and looked directly at us.
Chimney Swift-1 heard only
Red-bellied Woodpecker-3
Downy Woodpecker-2 heard only
Pileated Woodpecker-2
Acadian Woodpecker-15+ very numerous in the park
Great Crested Flycatcher-3
E. Kingbird-3 adult with two fledged young
Purple Martin-3
Barn Swallow-3
Am. Crow-1
Fish Crow-3