goshawk vs cooper's

Dear Carolinabirders:
I have had several very informative and encouraging replies to my Goshawk
query which have provoked further questions.
Harry le Grand mentioned that he would not expect a Cooper's Hawk in the
spruce fir zone but lower down in mixed woods, and also downstate. Can
anyone tell me the summer status of Cooper's and Sharp Shinned Hawks as
breeders in this state, both in the mountains and in the Piedmont? Also is
there anything more Harry or others can say about the habitat preferences
of both these species?
I did not notice any fluffy white undertail-coverts on this accipiter but
then I hardly saw anything of its underside as it flew away from me--this
is now the third time this year that I have seen a flying-away raptor in
this exact position--the other two times it was a possible Merlin--, it is
maddening as all you can see is the wing shape and markings n the
tail. Maybe Sibley should consider adding another flight profile to his
already abundant illustrations--one that would show a raptor flying away
at an even angle.

Anyway, I have found all your thoughts, experiences, and hunches to be
helpful (if only because they bolster my own hunch).

Shantanu Phukan