Edisto Island, 7/13, and Bear Island, 7/14

On a trip to the coast to visit Sharon Brown this Friday and Saturday, I
found I have to confirm Dennis Forsythe's posts of yesterday.  Migration is
beginning. Southbound shorebirds are arriving and the very earliest of the
songbird migrants were seen, as well.

Friday afternoon, from the southern beach on Edisto Island, we found two
Whimbrels and a Western Sandpiper, two species that are typically among the
earliest of the southbound shorebirds, before a cold and stinging rain drove
us in.

Saturday morning at Bear Island, we found at least 15 Black Terns and a
Baltimore Oriole in some of the impoundments back in Bear Island.  Careful
culling through the Black Terns unfortunately did not turn up a White-winged
Black Tern.  Nonetheless, some of the Black Terns were still in nearly full
breeding plumage and it was certainly nice to see black Black Terns.  Having
early July records of Baltimore Orioles here in the yard, I was quite
intrigued with the Baltimore Oriole.

Among the 83 species were an almost Tern grand slam (missing only Common
Tern) and Mississippi Kites.

Along with the birds, Marsh Rabbits were much in evidence and some really
nice wildflowers were in bloom, including Common Marsh Pink and Marsh Mallow.

Perhaps July isn't as dull on the coast as we tell ourselves.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"