CARDINAL CATCHES HUMMER

Ok this was one of the most bizarre events I have witnessed in my birding
days.  Yesterday, while watching the regular birds in my back yard, I saw a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird catching small insects around the trees in the
garden.  Foraging on the ground close by were some other birds such as Brown
Thrashers, a Mockingbird and a male Northern Cardinal, etc.

No sooner had the RTH dropped down about 2-3 feet off the ground to feed,
when the Cardinal sprang from the ground and attacked it.  The Cardinal hit
the RTH and knocked it to the ground, and immediately landed on top of it.
The Cardinal picked the RTH up in its beak (the RTH was still alive and
flapping its wings rapidly).  Then the Cardinal flew out of the yard
carrying the RTH!

I could not believe it!  I have seen the Cardinals catch small butterflys,
moths, etc., but never a RTH!

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com