New backyard bird

  Earlier in the week I noticed a yellow bird in the company of a flock
of house finches visiting my feeders. Off the cuff I thought "gold
finch" but knew it wasn't. When I got my glasses I realized I had a
prothonotary. It was completely out of habitat context and was flocking
with house finches. It was a female, and no others were around.
This morning I had three or four prothonotaries at the creek a couple of
miles from the house.So they are close by and maybe dispersing. What on
earth would it be eating out of the feeder? I did have DR Geise seed mix
which also contains fruit and nuts. And why would it be traveling in
suburban neighborhoods with house finches rather than staying with its
own kind along the creekbeds?        Has anyone else had  this species
come to a feeder?              .
Dave Lovett- Charlotte,NC
Birdsalt@webtv.net