Re: Sunset Beach: A WARNING:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Mary McDavit wrote:

> My friend has a Blue jay that she watched 3 days in a row have what appeared
> to be a seizure.  Any thoughts??

My thought would be either anting or sunbathing, especially the latter, in
which many birds spread wings and tail, plaster themselves against the
ground or perch, stand all their body feathers on end, open their beaks
and half close their eyes, and let their head hang at unnatural angles.
There are some individual birds (I think of one female song sparrow of my
acquaintance and my pet starling) that are addicted to this behavior, and
it looks *very* disturbed.

If the Jay was in shade, I'm stumped.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC