cardinal v. hummer

Another strange cardinal escapade.  Read on...

Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
---------------------- Forwarded by Steven Shultz/US/UNIFI on 07/23/2001
08:35 AM ---------------------------

Van Walbek <mwalbek@nc.rr.com> on 07/21/2001 07:08:19 PM

Please respond to Van Walbek <mwalbek@nc.rr.com>

To:   Steven Shultz/US/UNIFI@Unifi
cc:
Subject:  cardinal v. hummer

Steve
 Since I'm not on NC Birds, I'll relate this to you.
Around 1987 I was in a break room at a company at RTP.  The room was lined
with plate glass for a beautiful view.  It was in the winter, a good snow
cover.  There was a small creek with steep banks paralleling the window, I
couldn't see the bottom of the ditch.  A bridge crossed the creek about 50
yds. from my vantage.
 I noticed a small field mouse running across the snow, toward the bridge
with a male cardinal hot on his trail.  The mouse made it to the bridge and
ran under it.  The cardinal went under the bridge after him but came out
empty.  Needless to say I was very surprised .
 On another note, I have a RH woodpecker coming to the suet feeder. He/she
usually flys off with a chunk of suet in his/her bill.  I was hoping that
it
was taking the suet to a nest and I would eventually see a juvenile with
her/him but this has been going on for about a month .  Storing it?
 One more thing.  Bond Lake, east side trail to the end of the lake.  There
is a swampy area just beyond a clearing.  RH woodpecker and 2
red-shouldered
hawks apparently living there.
 Best Regards
 Van