Re: Ruby-throat vs Bald-faced Hornet.

Hi Nancy and Bill : In the last 2 or 3 days we have had a couple of
Bald-faced Hornets feeding at one of our feeders. As a result, we have been
able to see, literally at arms length the intdraction of the RTHU with the
hornets. While the RTHU have no problem in challenging other wasps and bees,
and sometimes chasing them away while they come in to feed, all RTHU give the
hornets a wide berth, not even approaching the feeder while the hornets feed.
or if they happen not to see the hornet till it flies up, rapidly backing
away, and awaiting their turn later. I have never seen a hornet actually
engage in a chase, they seem to know that there is no need to.
Thought you two might be interested.
Pete Worthington, Simpsonville, SC