yard birds, 7-29

Hi y'all,
    with no particular place to go and no certain time to be there, i hung
out today with the "yardbirds." the most noticeable difference was in the
hummingbird contingent. in the gray haze they were rockin' and rollin' all
day long here, with a number of new faces rocketing thru the confines,
including the most ragged,
looked-like-something-whunadoze-despicable-felines-dragged-in male
Ruby-throated I've seen. Hey now, even I look good in the mirror compared to
that guy.  ;)
    cool bird is a pudgy juv. male that has claimed the front yard for his
own. in 5 minutes (timed) this eve, he was involved in no less than 9 chases
to repel intruders from his domain. he's a hard-working little guy, he is.
    i wanna be a hummingbird when i grow up....

;)

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
axis1@sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")