Upland Sandipiper and Kestrel, Horry Cty, SC

This morning (29 July) at about 10 AM my wife, Barbara, and I spotted a
brown Am. Kestrel perched on a low tree top near our home (roughly at the
intersection of Hwys 22 and 319) - our first kestrel for the season.

This afternoon (encouraged by the Wilmington airport reports) we went
looking for and found a single Upland Sandpiper at the Bucksport turf farm.
The bird was in the company of many killdeer, cattle egrets, and
starlings.  Later, it moved to the roadside and we got good looks from
about 15 feet.

Good birding,
St.

Stephen Thomas