Bluebird houses

Carolinabirders,

I need some advice from the Eastern Bluebird lovers out there.  Tabernacle
Baptist Church of Raleigh has recently moved into a new building in Northwest
Raleigh near the I 540 loop.  We have an approximately 32 acre tract which is
wooded except for the area which was cleared for construction of the building
and parking lots.  During construction I noticed a number of bluebirds on our
property and several members are interested in putting up bluebird houses.
We have acquired a number of houses, but I assume from my reading of John K.
Terres' instructions on erecting bluebird trails that we should wait until
after the first of the year to put them up.  I would appreciate your advice
on when to erect the houses, how close together we can put them, and whether
mounting them on "trees of small to medium size" (Terres) around the border
of our wooded area would be adequate or should we use metal posts with a
predator baffle.

Thanks for your advice.  You may reply directly to me rather than through the
listserv.

Clyde Smith
Raleigh, NC
Smith82534@aol.com