Purple Martin Success Story!

Dear Birders,

Last spring I built two purple martin houses (14 apartments total) but
unfortunately, had no takers.  A few months ago I had bought a CD of martin
songs (http://www.purplemartins.com/sales/pm-accessories2.htm) but since the
nesting season had passed, I didn't play it much.  I figured I'd use it next
spring.

Last week I noticed 40-50 purple martins hanging around here at Greenveiw
Pond and so I decided to try playing my CD just to see what would happen...
The results were amazing!  Within 30 minutes of starting the Cd playing, I
had 40+ purple martins swooping around.  They landed on the balcony where I
had placed the boom box and were trying to figure out where all those other
purple martins were hiding.  I had 5 or 6 birds sitting on top of my martin
houses and one on the boom box.  I've never seen anything like it.  What a
treat!

Hopefully, some of them will remember this spot next year when it comes time
to nest.

John Argentati
Greenview Pond
Raleigh, North Carolina

Greenview Pond is located on Blaney Franks Road, just west of Lake Wheeler,
in Raleigh North Carolina.  In spite of the fact that it's just a small farm
pond and marsh, the Wake County Audubon Society has observed over 200
species of birds there over the years.

Birders are always welcome to park in front of our house and bird watch from
our property.
We live at 2429 Lullwater Drive overlooking Greenview Pond.  It's a wheat
colored house with a triangular window facing the street and a boardwalk to
the front door.

john argentati
chief lizard
blue-lizard technologies, inc.