Pileated Woodpecker

Hello birders.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who contacted me with advice
for my quest to photograph the painted bunting. I have been making routine
stops at Pickney Island (between Hilton Head and the mainland) and I have a
trip planned to Skidaway Island, GA. It's been interesting.

On my last outing to Pickney Island I was able to photograph a Green Heron as
it was poised motionless on a small branch protruding from the water. Nice
looking bird. Birds of the Carolinas has it listed as "common" but I don't
recall seeing one on Hilton Head before. Of course, I'm relatively new to the
hobby, so I might not have noticed before.

On to new business. I have always liked the Pileated Woodpecker. It's rare
that I catch a glimpse, so it's always special when one comes around the fire
station. Has anyone on the list ever tried using a woodpecker call to attract
one? I was reading about the Ivory Billed Woodpecker this week, and it looks
like many of the scientists who searched for the bird used the Cornell
recording. I found out yesterday that turkey hunters use a Pileated
Woodpecker call to hunt turkeys. Apparently the turkeys answer it. Has anyone
ever used one to call up a woodpecker? Is there any reason I shouldn't try it?

I thank you in advance.

Tom Bouthillet
Hilton Head Island, SC