Re: Vines for fences??

>             My back-door neighbor has put up a chain link fence (to keep
>her rambunctious dog at home) and plans to plant ivy to grow on the
>fence.  What would be a better choice??  Something that would attract
>birds/butterflies??  The back of her lot is moderately wooded and ours
>has a hedgerow of sorts.  Any suggestions I could pass on to her would
>be greatly appreciated.
>
>Ruth Roberson
>Durham, NC
>ruth-roberson@nc.rr.com

RUTH . . .

Although it can get a little rowdy at times, I have high praise for
Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans). It's native, is a hummingbird
magnet, produces nice foliage and attractive flowers, and makes a
great screen when planted on a fence. See
http://www.rubythroat.org/CreeperTrumpetMain.html . It does require
some sun.

You can always knock it back with a blowtorch if it gets out of hand.  :-)

Best wishes,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.