LONG-BILLED CURLEW/WHITE-WINGED DOVE/UPLAND SANDPIPERS

In the last four years, I have made seven trips (2- Shackleford Banks, 2-
Fort Fisher & 3- Cape Lookout) to look for a Long-billed Curlew in North
Carolina.  All trips had been unsuccessful, until yesterday.  My wife Pat
and I went to Shackleford Banks yesterday.  We searched the eastern edge of
the island, the huge expanse of tidal marshes slightly inland, and the
mud/sand flat on the SE edge of the island.  I can't tell you how excited I
was when I saw a LONG-BILLED CURLEW off in the distance on the SE mud/sand
flat.  Pat and I were able to get great looks and I took a good number of
photographs as well.  I finally got this nemesis state bird, and it was a
lifer for Pat!

Our trip was a great shorebird "clinic" for Pat since she is still starting
out.  For example, we observed five species of plovers together
(Semipalmated, Wilson's, Piping, Black-bellied and Killdeer).  How often do
you get to do that?  Another nice group that we observed together included
the Long-billed Curlew, numerous Marbled Godwits, Whimbrels and Willets.  A
great opportunity for anyone, no less a beginner.  All in all, we had over
20 species of shorebirds.  Other highlights included a comparison of nine
species of terns (Caspian, Royal, Sandwich, Common, Forster's, Least,
Gull-billed, Black and Black Skimmer).  Ok, maybe I can't count Skimmer as a
Tern.  Anyhow, even though none of these are rare, it is great to see them
all together at the same time.  We also saw Yellow-crowned Night-herons and
Black-crowned Night-Herons together.

On our way home we stopped in Beaufort to take a look for the resident
WHITE-WINGED DOVE.  Sure enough, it was calling when we arrived, and we
quickly found it perched in a Live Oak tree at the corner of Ann and Live
Oak streets.

This morning, we decided to round out our shorebirding activities for the
weekend and to see if we could find Pat another lifer.  Sure enough, we
found nine (9) UPLAND SANDPIPERS at the Greenville airport.  The majority of
the birds were in the grassy fields at the North end of the runways,
however, there were a few spread out in all directions on the airport
property.

Ok, so now I still need Baird's Sandpiper as a state nemesis bird.  Please
contact me if any are seen in the eastern half of NC.  Thanks!

-Brad & Pat Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com