Congaree Bluff Hawk Watch

Greetings from the Bluff,

The new Congaree Bluff Hawk Watch at Congaree Bluff Heritage Preserve,
Calhoun County, SC continues. We have just updated the results page on the
Columbia Audubon website (www.columbia-audubon.org).

The Mississippi Kite migration is still going on, albeit at a reduced rate.
Other migrants are few and far between, but there do seem to be a few
vultures migrating. We try not to count local birds, only those that seem be
to outa here.

A few Wood Storks are usually soaring around somewhere, and we have had nice
migratory waves of Red-eyed Vireos, Fish Crows, Chimney Swifts, Eastern
Kingbirds, and a few swallows.

This Saturday (8 Sep 2001) there will be a Columbia Audubon Society field
trip to the site, so there should be someone there from no later than 9 AM
until the early afternoon. So far we find most migrants between 10 AM and
noon.

I hope to see some of you on Saturday!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC