Great Smokies hike update

Carolinabirders:
Just spent the Labour Day weekend doing our now-annual hike on the
Appalachian Trail. Despite the rain, we hiked from Clingman's Dome to
Davenport Gap and enjoyed the very wet, damp and soggy conditions. Still,
any day in the woods is better than a day behind a computer!
Highlights were the following:
Red Crossbills were everywhere. From the parking lot in Newfound Gap to all
higher elevations of the AT. The most unusual sightings were several birds
coming into the trail shelters and taking minerals from the fireplaces. The
birds were so used to hikers, that they came within a few feet of us. Bins
not needed!
Tennessee Warbler  hundreds
Black-throated Blue and Black-throated Green Warblers
Black-capped Chickadee (common)
A handful of other warblers, inc. Blackburnian, Hooded, Worm-eating.
Big migration of Veery in early morning hours.
Jordan's, Dusky and Pygmy Salamanders
Also, not technically a bird, but we found a bright red crayfish walking on
the very wet trails. It was about 4 inches long and was very obvious. Does
anyone have a hint as to the species?
See you at the Santee CBC meeting.
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours
PO Box 1095
Skyland, NC 28776
Travel@birdventures.com
www.birdventures.com

** NEW brochure now printed and being mailed. Contact me to obtain a copy**