SC NAMC 15 September

Looking for something fun and helpful to do for the birds?  Consider
counting a county full of birds for the North American Migration Count this
coming Saturday, the 15th of September.  This fall migration is shaping up
to be a fine  migration season and the NAMC counters for SC usually manage
to catch an exciting wave of migration of some kind.  In 1999, three
continguous counties reported a relatively large movement of Catharus
thrushes in the pre-dawn hours, including a large number of Gray-cheeked
Thrushes and one Bicknell's Thrush.  In 2000, the Fall NAMC turned up four
Nashville Warblers, again in three counties - one coastal county, one
Midlands county and one Piedmont county.  Four birds for a species like
Nashville adds up to a wave.  What we might find this Saturday is a fun
topic of speculation.

If you would like to make your own excitement and count a county, there are
several good ones still open.  Newberry (think Lynches Wood - and I'll also
give you directions to several good spots in and around Little Mountain) and
Greenville (think Caesar's Head SP and the Ravens Cliff Falls trail) are
open and at the top of my list to get covered.  Most of the Pee Dee is open,
as well.  Please contact me for details.  If you would like to help out with
an established count and don't know who the county coordinator is, again,
please contact me for details.

Don't worry - the paperwork isn't too formidable, I am generally pleasant to
work with, and these counts can be fun and relaxed.  If you have a basic
knowledge of birds and can count, the North American Migration Count needs you!

Donna Slyce Bailey
South Carolina State Coordinator, North American Migration Count
Winnsboro, SC