RE: FWD: Nocturnal Migration

Before I left for Santee Friday morning, I spent 90 minutes listening to the
nocturnal migrants. Friday night was another banner night for nocturnal
listening!  I was glad to learn Saturday night was, too.  I tried to listen
Saturday night but was deafened by winds.

Recorded Friday morning, 90 minutes of listening, between 5:15 am and 6:45 am

Veery 11
Swainson's Thrush 30
Gray-cheeked Thrush 21
Warbler sp. 1
Sparrow sp. 2

Friday morning was much like 9/18/99 except that I didn't have the big
flocks coming down at dawn.  They were coming down all around me from the
time I started counting, fortunately usually in singles.

The Warbler and Sparrow sp. listed are mere guesses at identity. The
"warbler note" was a very high-pitched, sibilant "zzeeet" and the "sparrow
notes" were lower pitched, more abrupt, more modulated notes, perhaps best
transliterated as "chup".

Friday was quite a contrast to the rest of the week, when one night last
week I counted one bird, an Indigo Bunting, for 30 minutes of listening.

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"