Wilson's W., Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Conway

Hi y'll,
    Serendipitously, a male Wilson's Warbler was seen in the back yard this
morning. I was taking 5 from some tedious work and walked out on the porch
to put some rosin in my "squeaker" (Audubon bird call.) I twisted the thing
once and this way cool little guy popped out of a shrub ~15' away and into
an Abelia hedge, where it foraged for a cpl of minutes before jetting across
the street to work through the neighbor's hedges. Then, the first "yard"
Sharpie of the fall made a run at the omnipresent House Sparrow flock
(unfortunately, it struck out.)
    After seeing those guys, I thought I'd run over to New Rd. (Hey, it was
almost lunchtime anyway.) In an hour-and-a-half, got great looks at an imm.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 5 woodpecker spp., and a few more warblers. Not a
complete list here, but just the highlites:

Am. Kestrel - purty l'il male
Empidonax sp.
Swainson's Thrush
Magnolia
Black-and-white
Am. Redstart
Palm
Pine
C. Yellowthroat

Chimney Swift, Tree, Barn and Bank swallows over the sewage ponds. A dozen
Pectorals in the mud, few Least, Semipals.

Odyssey update: 259.

    Also, an imm. Red-headed Woodpecker has been showing up at the suet here
for the last cpl of days. I'm trying to lure 'em back over here from the
swamp alongside New Rd.

    Oh yeah, still a cpl of hummers hanging out here too, but not using the
feeders, just groovin' on the flowers.

Cheers,
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela@sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")