SW Horry Cty., 9-30

Hi y'all,
    You know it's going to be a good day when (at first light) there are a
cpl of hummingbirds in the yard and a Red-tailed Hawk sitting on the roof
(but not for long. The Raptor Police, aka Blue Jays, encouraged it to "move
along, now.") The only thing left to do was go birding. So I did. Visited
New Rd. in Conway, Punchpole Landing and Port Harrelson on the Little Pee
Dee, and a wasted drive to the sod farm at Bucksport. With exception to the
latter, cool birds all over the place! 66 spp. for the day, including 12
warbler spp. Here's the list (HO = home, NR = New Rd, PP = Punchpole, PH =
Port Harrelson.)

Great Egret - NR
Cattle Egret - enroute to PP
TV - PP, PH
Wood Duck - NR
Accipiter sp. - NR
Red-shouldered Hawk - PP, PH
Red-tailed Hawk - HO
Am. Kestrel - en route to PH and at Bucksport
Falcon sp. - PH
Wild Turkey - PP
Killdeer - NR (heard)
Rock Dove - HO
Mourning Dove - HO, NR, PP, PH
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - PP
Great Horned Owl - PP
Chimney Swift - NR, PP, PH
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - HO, PP
Belted Kingfisher - NR, PH
Red-headed Woodpecker - NR, PP
Red-bellied Wp. - HO, NR, PP
Downy Wp. - HO, NR, PP, PH
Hairy Wp. - PP
N. Flicker - HO, NR, PP, PH  an invasion appears to be underway
Pileated Wp. - NR, PP, PH
YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER - PP Life bird! Perched ~15' away, I'm thinking
"another Empid sp., I guess" when it called and removed all doubt.
Least Flycatcher - PP
Empidonax sp. - NR, PP
Eastern Phoebe - PP, PH  first of fall for me
Thrush sp. - kept asking 'tsup, but was too shy to come see for itself
Loggerhead Shrike - en route to PP, en route to PH
W-e Vireo - NR, PP, PH
R-e Vireo - NR, PP
Blue Jay - HO, NR, PP, PH
Am. Crow - PP, PH
Tree Swallow - en route to PH
Barn Swallow -         "
Carolina Chickadee - HO, NR, PP, PH
Tufted Titmouse - HO, NR, PP, PH
B-h Nuthatch - HO, PP, PH
W-b Nuthatch - HO
Carolina Wren - HO, NR, PP, PH
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - PP, PH  first of fall for me
Gray Catbird - NR, PP, PH
N. Mockingbird - HO, NR, PP, PH
Brown Thrasher - NR, PP, PH
Tennessee Warbler - PP cool bird!
N. Parula - PP, PH
B-t Blue - PP, PH
B-t Green - PH  Way cool bird!
Yellow-throated - PP
Pine - NR, PP, PH
Palm - en route to PH
Black-and-white - PP (several) PH
Am. Redstart - NR, PP, PH
N. Waterthrush - NR
C. Yellowthroat - NR, PH
Hooded - NR female fanning its tail like a Redstart
Summer Tanager - NR
E. Towhee - PP
N. Cardinal - HO, NR, PP, PH
R-w Blackbird - HO, NR
C. Grackle - HO, NR
B-h Cowbird - HO
House Finch - HO, NR
Am. Goldfinch - PP (heard)
House Sparrow - HO

Odyssey update: 262.

Is everybody having fun yet?

Woohoo!
;)
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela@sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")