New Rd., 10-03-01

Hi y'all,
    Ritch Lilly and I did a cpl of hours on New Rd. this morning. Time
considerations precluded a look at the sewage ponds. Anyway, lotsa
Redstarts, B-t Blue, and a moment of excitement with a very bright yellow,
dark-winged  Tanager with a interesting view from the back....that turned
out to be a Scarlet. But it was another year bird for me, since I managed to
miss it this spring. 51 spp., here's a list:

Great Blue Heron (flyby)
Great Egret (flyby)
TV
Wood Duck (flyby)
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk (heard)
Am. Kestrel
Killdeer (heard)
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Wp.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Wp.
Hairy Wp.
N. Flicker
Pileated Wp. - 3 working on the same tree
Eastern Phoebe
W-e Vireo
R-e Vireo
Blue Jay
Tree Swallow
Car. Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
W-b Nuthatch (heard)
B-h Nuthatch
Car. Wren
House Wren - several. first of fall for me
B-g Gnatcatcher (heard)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
E. Bluebird
Am. Robin
Gray Catbird
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
N. Parula
B-t Blue W. - several heard, 2 seen well
Pine W.
Palm W.
Black-and-white W.
Am. Redstart
N. Waterthrush - how could I have missed this bird on New Rd. for so long?
they're almost numerous over there now.
C. Yellowthroat - livin' up to its name
Scarlet Tanager
N. Cradinal
Indigo Bunting
R-w Blackbird
C. Grackle
House Finch

Odyssey update: one more than it was after birding yesterday (264.)

A number of honorary birds (butterflies) about, too.

Good weather, good birds, good company...good day.

;-)
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela@sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")