Congaree Bluff SC, 4 Oct 2001

Hi C-Birders,

This afternoon I spent three hours at the Congaree Bluff Heritage Preserve
Hawk Watch, Calhoun County, SC. (See
http://www.columbia-audubon.org). The vultures are definitely moving.  I
watched Black Vultures in kettles of up to 14 birds gaining altitude in the
afternoon thermals and then sliding off to the southwest. The high points of
the watch were two adult Bald Eagles, over an hour apart, heading south.

There were very few birds, other than the resident and migrant vultures and
hawks. I did note a nice movement of Northern Flickers and about a hundred
Chimney Swifts.

Here are my vulture / hawk totals for 12:30 to 15:30:

Black Vulture -- 56
Turkey Vulture -- 25
Bald Eagle -- 2
Broad-winged Hawk -- 1

I wonder just how many Black Vultures will turn up for the entire season?
We are probably at least a month ahead of the main migration.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com