Cold front action at Pea Island

	The passage of a cold front Tuesday night gave us clear skies and NW winds
and the birding at Pea Island Wednesday morning was great! Birds began
streaming by about 7:15 and were still coming when I left at 10:20. Hoards
of Yellow-rumps dominated, as expected, followed by many Palm Warblers and
Tree Swallows. But there were a few goodies, too, including a Dickcissel, a
Wilson's Warbler, a Tennessee Warbler, a Black-throated Blue, several Cape
Mays, several Blackpolls, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, a couple of Bobolinks,
and a good assortment of winter birds. Also had some sparrows but no
rarities. Only a few raptors showed, did see a Kestrel being chased by a
Common Grackle! Over on the north dike of north pond, I added Magnolia and
Prairie Warbler to the list. Back on Roanoke Island I  saw one Baltimore
Oriole, a Redstart, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and more Black-throated Blues,
Cape Mays and Blackpolls. Had 13 warblers on a day that I figured would be
"all myrtles." Sure could have used some help out there at on Pea Island,
there were way too many birds for me alone!
	Jeff Lewis - Manteo