Eared Grebes at Jacksonville, NC treatment plant

Today, Jim O'Donnell took several of us into the Jacksonville, NC
sewage treatment plant to look for Eared Grebes and possibly some other
rarities.  7 Eared Grebes had been seen at the plant last week.

Today we found 2 Eared Grebes.

Another good find was 2 separate Bald Eagles flying over--1 1st-year, 1
3rd-year.

Shorebirds included Stilt Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, and 1
White-rumped Sandpiper.   We tried hard for a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper,
but no cigar.

Lots of Laughing Gulls there--we tried to conjure up a Franklin's, but
no success.

If anyone would like to go into this treatment plant, it would be best
if they go in with Jim O'Donnell.  Jim lives next door to the treatment
plant and has permission to go in.  Jim's phone number is 910-347-5481.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com