Congaree Bluff on 25 Oct 2001

I went out to the Congaree Bluff Heritage Preserve near Fort Motte, SC  and
sat at the hawk watch for 4 hours this afternoon as a dry cold front passed.
I had LOTS of vultures milling around, most of which were probably local
birds. I also had a local Red-tailed Hawk. I judged the following vultures
and hawks to be migrating, since they were moving with a purpose to the
south and southwest, and not milling around:

Black Vulture -- 21
Turkey Vulture -- 11
Northern Harrier -- 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk -- 4
Cooper's Hawk -- 1
Red-tailed Hawk -- 4
American Kestrel -- 2

Nothing spectacular, but a very pleasant afternoon at the Bluff. I'm still
looking for a Peregrine Falcon or a Golden Eagle.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com