early Rusty

I looked out into a flock of robins in my back yard yesterday and was
surprised to see a Rusty Blackbird. I don't have a yard that attracts much
diversity--mostly titmice, chickadees, nuthatches and such. I didn't get a
chance to study the head, but the rusty back contrasted strongly with the
dark wings, and the chest was the right color and pattern for a fall male.
The Chapel Hill frequency list doesn't even show the RB until November, so I
wondered if I got an odd look at something like a starling and misidentified
it. There was one starling in the flock along with the blackbird and the
robins, which looked very different from the blackbird. I don't think it
could have been anything but a Rusty Blackbird. Any thoughts on the
likelihood of an early loner in a residential area?
Joseph Covington
Raleigh