Winter finch year?

I read the many reports of Pine Siskins, Purple Finches, and even an
Evening Grosbeak (was that ever confirmed?) in the Carolinas with interest
as this pattern fits a cycle predicted in a magazine article I read a few
months ago.  Unfortunately I cannot remember the title or the magazine, but
it indicated that winter finches irrupt on a bi-annual cycle.  The reason
why this happens is not known.  We all know that last winter was very poor
for winter finches in the area, but the previous year was spectacular.
Remember the Red Crossbills at Jordan Lake?  So, if the theory holds water,
we may be in for another winter finch year.  Stock up on thistle!

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
computer.