Winter Waterfowl in Guilford Co.

Carolina Birders:

Lynn and I spent a couple of hours this morning (Sunday, 11/4) checking the
Guilford Co. lakes north of Greensboro for winter waterfowl. Other than the
resident Mallards and Canada Geese, the only ducks we found included about a
dozen Ring-necked Ducks on Buffalo Lake, and 23 Gadwalls in a cove off of
Lake Townsend. There also were a few Double-crested Cormorants and
Pied-billed Grebes in several spots. The annual invasian of Buffleheads on
Trosper Pond hasn't occurred yet. The best bird of the morning was a Greater
Yellowlegs in the Hamburg Mill Rd. marsh.

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted@aol.com