Increase in Finches at feeders/ Thrush

Yesterday my yard was full of birds.  With weather in the mid 70's, had the
screened porch door in the kitchen open and my binocs by the window, lots to
see and hear.  A large flock of robins was present, eating many of the
remaining Dogwood berries, as well as a big increase of Finches at the
feeders.  Had probably 1 1/2 dozen Pine Siskins, same with Goldfinches, and
4-6 Purple Finches.  The woods were full of sounds, the various Robin calls
and some singing, and the song of the White-throated Sparrows made it very
enjoyable.  Also quite a few Mourning Doves and Juncos, too.

This AM a male Purple Finch was present for the first time this fall, also a
Hermit Thrush.

Had the first window fatality of the year as far as I know, a Thrush.  The
other birds that have hit windows on occassion seemed to all recover, I have
numerous hawk decals but they don't help 100%.  May get a few of the
smaller-sized decals at the Wild Bird Center to place on smaller windows such
as the one that the Thrush hit.
Have the Thrush in the freezer till I can bring it to the Museum in Raleigh,
not sure of the ID, may be a Hermit, but it's small and the tail only has
rufous on the base/rump area.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
North Chatham County, NC