Leaf-bathers & Drop-catchers :)

This morning, I noticed some interesting bird behavior around my deck.

I saw 4 or 5 juncos hopping around in my wisteria, including one whose feathers seemed fluffed up as though the bird had just bathed.  This seemed odd, as the water in the birdbath was still frozen (although the dripper had thawed).

The juncos seemed to be "fluttering" against the wisteria leaves, which were slightly wet with the melting frost.  I know of tropical birds that will bather in the water caught by a large leaf, but I've never heard about behavior like that of the juncos.

Another interesting sight was watching how various birds reacted to the dripping water over the still-frozen birdbath.  Chickadees & titmice, as usual, seemed comfortable perching on top of the dripper and leaning down to sip as the drops came out.

However, I was amazed  --  and delighted  --  to see a female bluebird perched on the birdbath rim looking up at the dripping water.  (I had never seen bluebirds at the birdbath before, nor do they usually come to the deck, although they like to sit on the roof edge that overlooks the deck.)  The bluebird actually attempted to catch the drops in mid-air; despite using binoculars, I could not quite tell if she was successful.  After the female flew off, the male promptly appeared, but he did not seem interested in catching the drops.  (By this time, the ice in the birdbath had a layer of water on it.)

Anne Lurie
ALURIE@nc.rr.com