New Yard Bird

I have my latest new yard bird to report- an American Woodcock!  My husband, who
is not a birder, said he had seen some sort of ground bird, perhaps a bobwhite,
in our front yard.  Yesterday afternoon, I spotted the bird and was able to
identify it as an American Woodcock.  He bobbled around, fed by poking his long
nose into the ground, and then snuggled into the leaf litter near some rocks
where he spent the night. I had lots of time to observe- what beautiful eyes and
head markings.  This morning he was up and foraging in the same general area.
My property is very wooded, but we do have our share of tall grass between the
trees in the septic area.  He was in a fairly weedy area.

Anyone have any idea what woodcocks are up to this time of year?  I read that
they are solitary birds.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Marsha Stephens
North Chatham County, NC
(919) 942-7205