Banded Seagull

Hi all,

     I'm new to this list, so if this subject has been discussed recently, I
apologize. While having lunch with my daughter in Wilmington recently, I
noticed a seagull with a bright yellow band on his left (I believe) front
leg. There were 25 or so birds, laughing gulls, and this one bird was the
only one banded. I was a bit surprised as seagulls are not an uncommon
species by any stretch - does anyone out there know anything about any
seagull banding programs?  Just wondering and curious!!

Thanks!

Melody in Hampstead, NC