neighborhood Snipe

  surprised today to find a lone Common Snipe foraging on lawn behind
Colonial Arms Apts (just south of Airport Rd., corner of Hillsborough and
Bolinwood Sts.Chapel Hill). Seemed very out-of-place in the well-mowed apt
lawn although it does border Bolin Creek.  Got within 20 ft. of him (trying
to see if he was injured) before I backed away. At
one point he abruptly hunched down in grass, I thought due to my approach
but then a shadow swooped across grass that turned out to be a low-flying
Red-shouldered Hawk!
  Also, along Bolin Creek Greenway in last week, flocks of Cedar Waxwings, a
Pileated, and approximately 22.4 jazillion Robins enjoying Indian summer as
much as the rest of us.

Rob Gluck
Chapel Hill
thrush@hotmail.com