Mycoplasmal Conjunctivits in House Finches

Yesterday I decided to spend the day was resting on my screen porch while
doing my first weekend of the Cornell University winter bird count, since I
had gotten up at 5:00 A.M. that morning to see the Leonids.   I decided to
read my new addition of Living Bird which featured an article on Mycoplasmal
Conjunctivitis in House Finches. While I was reading the article a house
finch came to my tube feeder. As I put the binoculars on it I noticed an
infected eye. The article I was reading mainly focused on surveys done
between 1994 and 1997. I had several infected finches in 1996. I didn't see
many after that until this year. About a month ago the numbers at my feeders
started to decline again.  I was wondering if this disease was still
prevalent in the Carolinas. I have not heard much about it in several years.
As anyone else seen diseased finches recently?

Linda Sharp
Greenville, SC
nljsharp@worldnet.att.net