Broad-tailed Hummingbird, pelican, Tundra Swans

After a brief absence the Broad-tailed Hummingbird has returned to the
Tickle residence near Burlington.  I observed the bird today around noon.
The hummer was quite cooperative and I actually heard the bird before I
could get the optics out of the car.  The single pink gorget feather is
still the only color on the throat, but the grey mottling of the throat
feathers is easy to see as is the rufous wash on the flanks and the bright
rufous in the tail.  Neat bird.

On the way back to the Raleigh area I drove across Falls Lake on I-85 to
see if the White Pelican might be around.  I located the bird on the EAST
side of 85 on a sand bar.  The bird was most easily seen from the I-85
service road at the top of the US15 exit immediately north of the lake.  If
he bird takes a liking to this bar observers can avoid the danger of
stopping on the interstate and still get good views.  The service road dead
ends a few hundred yards from US15 and therefore has no traffic.

West Lake pond in southern Wake County now has 2 Tundra Swans in addition
to 259 Ring-necks, 21 Canvasback, and 12 American Wigeon.

Have a great week!
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC
computer.