Re: OBX for Thanksgiving

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your replies to the Q's I had about dowitchers and
peeps on Pea Island. FYI, the most common opinion offered was that
the dowitchers could have been either, although CBC counts would
suggest long-billed being the commoner. Peeps would mostly be least
or western, western being the commoner: I know now to take a longer
look at those leg colors! I think the peep I had the best time with
was black-legged, so a western. It was on a mud/sand bank by the
South dyke North Pond in the company of both a sanderling and several
dunlin, so the sizing was very easy. Tom Krakauer also reminded of
the superb views of greater and lesser yellowlegs together, really
making IDing both species very easy.

Cheers!

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu