Northern Goshawk on Roanoke Island

Tricia and I saw an immature Northern Goshawk just outside Elizabethan
Gardens on Roanoke Island Saturday afternoon (detailed directions to the site
below).   Within the last several weeks, other observers have reported seeing
very large accipiters that were probably this species in the Gardens and at
least one other spot on Roanoke Island.  Although I doubt staking out the
same spot in hopes of seeing the bird again would bear any fruit, it might be
possible to relocate it by birding around that section of the island.  Just
prior to our sighting on Saturday, nearby squirrels became very agitated ---
that might be a clue to a Goshawk's presence.

Other interesting birds seen on Saturday were a very late Baird's Sandpiper
at Lake Mattamuskeet, and a White-winged Scoter at the Nag's Head Pier.

On Sunday we saw the Snowy Owl at Fort Fisher --- altogether a fantastic
birding weekend!

Directions to where the gos was seen:  After crossing the Hwy 64 bridge over
Croatan Sound (heading toward Manteo), take a left into the Fort
Raleigh/Elizabethan Gardens complex (look for the signs, about 1 mile after
the bridge).   Take the first left toward the Gardens.  Take the first left
onto a service road.   Follow the road down until you reach a few mailboxes
on the right, near a small parking lot hidden in the woods on the right side
of the road.  This parking lot is used by Garden employees. The gos was seen
flying rapidly through this parking area at about 4-4:15 pm, possibly
responding to a screech owl imitation.

Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC
fitzbew@aol.com