wintering Prairie Warblers; Ivory-billed novel

Hi Carolinabirders,

Through Bob Parcelles' website Nature Potpourri, I just discovered a
novel - fiction, alas - entitled "Ivory Hunters" about a tracker who
finds an Ivory-billed Woodpecker in the Big Cypress National Monument in
south Florida. The review is posted at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturepotpourri/message/1227
It gets better. The author of this novel is, believe it or not, the vet
at the NCSU vet school who treats my pet Blue-tongued Skinks when they
get sick: Dr. Greg Lewbart! I had no idea his career included fiction
writing. It looks like the book was published in 1996. Any of you Ivory-
billed junkies (hi Rob G) know this book?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Steven Tracey wrote:

> Spent the morning at HBSP yesterday; beautiful day, good birding.
> Highlights included purple sandpipers, a visual on a Clapper Rail and a
> Prairie Warbler.  I'm curious if anyone else has been seeing Prairie
> Warblers there this time of year, I was surprised to see one.

I've never seen one in winter north of Florida. However, the CBC maps
available through
http://www.mbr.nbs.gov/id/framlst/framlst.html
indicate that the species does occur all along the SC coast and even into
southeastern NC in winter.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose