15 Dec Brunswick & New Hanover birds

Birders,

Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend another dawn til dusk day poking
around the coast here at Ft. Fisher and Oak Island.  Last weekend on
Saturday I birded Oak Island to Sunset Beach and found 98 species.
Yesterday I birded Oak Island to Ft. Fisher and found 26 species I had
not seen last Saturday!  Unfortunately, last Saturday I saw exactly 26
species that I didn't see yesterday, which means I again found 98
species.  Perhaps next Saturday I'll finally break a hundred  :-)

Again, I had some unfathomable misses (e.g. Great Egret, Snowy Egret,
Brown Thrasher), and I was disappointed not to find any rarities or
"Tyndall"-worthy birds.  As always, however, it was a blast!

Here are the highlights:

Greater Scaup -- 4; flyby near Cape Fear River mouth -- nice long wing strip

Black Vulture -- 3;  probably not that uncommon, but I usually don't see
them here

Piping Plover -- 1; unbanded at Ft. Fisher

American Oystercatcher -- 120 seemed like a good count

Whimbrel -- 3; same three as last week at Ft. Caswell

Purple Sandpiper -- 1; on the rocks at Ft. Fisher

Loggerhead Shrike -- 2; not unexpected but always reassuring to find

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278