2001 York/Rock Hill Christmas Bird Count

The 11th annual York/Rock Hill, South Carolina, Christmas Bird Count
will be conducted on Saturday, 22 December 2001, under the auspices
of the National Audubon Society.

Last year's count was very good. Observers tallied 8,812 individual
birds, greater than the ten-year average of 7,787. The number of
species was even more impressive. We tallied 80 species, breaking the
old record of 72 set in 1994 and far exceeding the 10-year average of
64. In the ten years of the count, we have now seen 102 different
species and nearly 80,000 individual birds within York County--not
bad for an inland Piedmont site.

Persons interested in joining this year's count should contact Hilton
at (803)684-5852 or mailto:research@hiltonpond.org by 5 p.m. Friday,
21 December. A $5 fee helps defer the costs of publishing results in
the Christmas Bird Count issue of National Audubon Society Field
Notes.

A map of the count circle and last year's bird list are available on
the Center's Web site at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ChristmasCountMain.html .

Happy Birding,

BILL

*********
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.