Saturday morning probably a very good time to look for Ash-throated Flycatcher

Saturday morning will probably be a very good time to look for the
Ash-throated Flycatcher.  This morning it was clear and cold, and the
bird was spending a lot of time in the sunny protected area on the south
side of the trees and in the weedy areas across Link Road.  Saturday
morning will also be clear and cold, and the bird will probably spend a
lot of time in the same area.

If you just stand at the intersection of Long Curve and Link roads and
look down Link Road (you can't walk down it--it's a closed area) while
checking the sunny side of the trees on your left and the weedy area on
the right, you'll probably see the bird after a while.  Note that there
is also a phoebe in the area.  We got our best looks this morning when
we walked a little ways south on Long Curve Road so that the sun was
somewhat behind us as we looked back northward toward the south line of
the weedy area.  The Ash-throated came right down to the south margin of
this weed line, so it was out in the open and in very good light.

There is no need to use a tape, and it probably wouldn't do any good
anyway.  (And they're illegal here.)

We also got good views of the Rough-legged Hawk over the fields south of
the Ash-throated.  We went all the way to the south end of the fields
for the best looks at the bird (fairly close and in good light).

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com