Holiday Birding

Hi Carolinabirders,
   Thanks to all who wrote with update on the Broad-tailed hummer in
Gibsonville, NC. I went by Monte Tickle's home on Saturday, Dec. 22 and got
two good looks at "Zippy" feeding at the sugar water feeder before he went
off into the trees. What a lovely bird! I hope he makes it through this
week's cold snap ok.
  Went to Eno River State Park near Durham, NC on Sunday, Dec. 23 and saw a
Winter Wren foraging about ten feet from the river. Also saw three male
wild turkeys feeding under hanging bird feeders in someone's backyard just
before the entrance to Eno River Park.
  Visited Farrington Point at Jordan Lake on Christmas Eve for a quick
look. Did not see anything remarkable (too windy), but on my way back to
Graham, NC on hwy 87 I saw a kettle of 10 or so black vultures circling
over the highway.
  Those were the highlights of holiday birding in the cold December weather.

Eagerly awaiting the next trip to NC in Spring....

Good birding,

Wendy
Decatur, GA