Falls Lake CBC

My partner Laura and I birded the Lick Creek area for the Falls Lake CBC
yesterday, December 29. It was a very quiet day all around, although we
did get 46 species total, 3 more than last year's count of 43.

There were no ducks to speak of - 3 unidentified ducks (flying away from
us) and a Pied-billed Grebe on the lake itself, and 2 Mallards, 2 Hooded
Mergansers and another Pied-billed Grebe on various ponds in our count
area.

We had good luck with the woodpeckers, though, other than Red-headeds,
with 5 Pileateds, 20 Red-bellieds, 4 Sapsuckers, 3 Hairys and 5 Downys,
all as good as or better than last year's count. Last year we had 10
Red-headed Woodpeckers, this year only 2, the big change being that
there were none in the Lick Creek impoundment this year.  Last year,
every time I visted the impoundment the Red-headeds could be seen.

Our count of Golden-crowned Kinglets more than tripled, thanks to one
small fact.  This year I know what they sound like <g>!  New from last
year were Killdeer, Chipping Sparrows, Field Sparrows, and House Finch.
 Missing from last year's count, in addition to the waterfowl, were
Common Yellowthroat, Pine Warbler, and Swamp Sparrow.

It was a beautiful day to be out and about.  I hope that the other
counters enjoyed it as much as we did.

Amalie Tuffin
Durham, NC